Monday, June 30, 2008

Pippi in the South Seas

Title: Pippi in the South Seas
Author: Astrid Lindgren

What it's about: Pippi Longstocking and her friends have adventures, and then Pippi's father invites her to come to the island in the South Seas where he rules as king. Pippi, Tommy, and Annika go to Kurrekurredutt Island and have more adventures there, all in the typical Pippi Longstocking fashion.

What I thought: Who wouldn't absolutely love the antics that Pippi gets up to? Even as an older reader, I still crack up at the baldfaced lies that Pippi will tell, ridiculous as they are, the stories she invents, and the simply ridiculous things that happen when she's around. And yet everything makes sense in its own way. That's the charm of Pippi Longstocking.

Overall: Maybe not my favorite of the three Pippi books, but still absolutely enchanting.

Most excellent! I may yet meet the quota for June. I have a novel picked out for reading tomorrow afternoon, so I shall apply myself for that and have it read in time.

No comments: