Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Dear Mr. Henshaw

Title: Dear Mr. Henshaw
Author: Beverly Cleary

What it's about: It's basically the letters and diary entries of a sixth grade boy named Leigh. Through his letters to famous author Mr. Henshaw and the entries in the diary Mr. Henshaw suggests Leigh keep, we learn about Leigh's struggle to fit in at a new school and to accept the realities of his parents' divorce.

What I thought: Cute and surprisingly witty. There's not much in the way of a plot, but it's enough to just follow the development of Leigh's character. Fairly deep for a kid's book.

Overall: Good story.

Man, as much as I like Wishbone and books like this one, I can't wait for July so I'll have a fresh slate and be able to focus on longer novels! I've got The Shadow of the Wind and Ender's Shadow to work on, as well as some other novels.

No comments: