Monday, May 5, 2008

Sword of the Rightful King

Here we go, a nice quick update. =D 'Course, for the next few days there won't be anything since I have a retreat, but with any luck, I'll have several books to post about when I get back. Last year's retreat saw me polishing off about three Terry Pratchett books or something ridiculous. Anyway, here we go with Sword of the Rightful King. I picked it up 'cause I wanted something similar in spirit and quality to The High King's Tomb, and this old favorite didn't disappoint.

Title: Sword of the Rightful King
Author: Jane Yolen

What it's about: This is the story of the sword in the stone, but with plenty of twists. In order to unite all the people of Britain under Arthur's rule, Merlinnus conceives of a sword in a stone as a way of proving that Arthur is destined to be king. Arthur's kingship is opposed by Morgause, the North Witch, who wants the throne for one of her sons.

What I thought: You can tell a lot of research went into this book. Nods are made to the various Arthurian legends, and the historical stuff seems pretty accurate as far as I can tell. Certainly lent the book a good sense of atmosphere. We've got a nice bunch of viewpoint characters, too, and they're all interesting, distinctive, and developed. The plot is nicely developed and weaved together, with the ending being very satisfactory.

Overall: This is just solid, entertaining storytelling right here.

When I get back, we'll have at least The Warrior Heir up for review, if not more. Possibly either its sequel, The Wizard Heir, or one of the Suzumiya Haruhi light novels, 'cause I'm on a Haruhi kick at the moment.

No comments: