Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Matilda

Title: Matilda
Author: Roald Dahl

What it's about: Matilda, though only five years old, is a genius. She's reading and doing math better than kids years older than her. However, will all her smarts keep her from being terrorized by the Trunchbull, the fearsome headmistress of her school? In order to help herself and her teacher Miss Honey, Matilda has to make use of her special talents to get rid of the Trunchbull once and for all.

What I thought: I have to admit, I'm having a hard time thinking of something to say other than that this is a really good book. I mean, all the characters are well-drawn, from the titular protagonist to Miss Honey to Miss Trunchbull. Dahl shows some great imagination in Miss Trunchbull's villainy, and he pokes scorching fun at dopey parents and other things with his wit. Look, Dahl's a literary genius, read his books, and that's really all I should need to say.

Overall: Great story.

No comments: