Sunday, July 19, 2009

Shift

Title: Shift
Author: Jennifer Bradbury

What it's about: Chris and his best friend Win decide to go on a bike trip across the United States in the summer after their senior year of high school. However, when the trip ends and college begins, something's wrong. Win hasn't returned home, and the FBI wants Chris to explain why.

What I thought: So I originally thought this was going to be, like, a thriller novel. Instead, it's a very deep story about friendship and growing as a person. The story is told by flashbacks of the bike trip interspersed with events from the story's present and the search for Win. What I liked the best was the realistic and complex characters, and the effective use of humor. Also, this book is just a really good example of a story about friendship, not something you see all that often. I was pulled into this book slowly at first, but by the time I hit the halfway point, there was no way I could put it down until I'd finished.

Overall: This review sadly doesn't do the book justice. I highly recommend it.

No comments: